Source: Avenue Blackbox Eventbrite
The Avenue Blackbox Theatre closes its successful inaugural season with its most ambitious production to date – “Things Went Horribly Wrong,” on stage from April 25 to May 5. This innovative production will break boundaries and initiate a new model for immersive theatre that engages community in transformative conversations and relationships. Through this bold new process, theater will be experienced as an alivening contribution to social change.
“Things Went Horribly Wrong” is produced by Sarita Covington, Rachel DeGuzman, and Reenah Golden with assistance from its collaborative producers Rome Celli, Michelle Daniels, Judi Fonzi, and Kathy Muscato – who are a committed team of volunteers invested in and assisting with resource development for the production. The 3 producers are also engaged with other participants including a diverse group of artists, poets, writers, community organizations and people.
“Things Went Horribly Wrong” is an original new play, by New York City based playwright Sarita Covington that explores female leadership and how best laid plans of restoring equity and justice often go astray. The nonlinear storytelling hops back and forth through time and space to find the commonalities and connections between Winnie Mandela in her prime as a freedom fighter against South Africa’s apartheid and a 14 year old girl growing up in the low-income Lower East Side neighborhood of New York City. The play highlights themes regarding gun violence, police brutality, feminism and racism among other complicated issues.
The play will begin previwing at The Avenue Blackbox Theatre in Rochester, New York on April 26 at 7 pm.
April 25 at 7 pm
April 26 at 7 pm
April 27 at 2 pm and 7 pm
April 28 at 2 pm
May 2 at 7 pm
May 3 at 6 pm (First Friday)
May 4 at 2 and 7 pm
May 5 at 4 pm.
Program flow/What to Expect:
1. Enjoy Intentional soundscape as you mingle with other guests
2. Experience the Things Went Horribly Wrong, the play
3. Listen to Literary Oral Transitions (LOT) and visit Things Went Horribly Wrong gallery installation (by Yves B. Golden + Eli Reed + W. Michelle Harris)
4. Witness the Long Table discussion curated by Rachel DeGuzman
5. Join the Long Table discussion if you are moved to
6. Enjoy the space with your cohort and continue the conversation
7. Leave motivated to share your experience with friends and family!